About the Bands
The Clearwater Community Band is made up of two bands:
The Concert Band of approximately 75 members, directed by Dr. Jeffrey Traster and Associate Director, Max Millspaugh
The Jazz Band of approximately 20 members, directed by Dr. John Kurnik
About our Concerts
We perform seven free concerts each year at Countryside High School Auditorium
Doors open for seating at 1:00 PM
The Jazz Band performs at 2:00 PM
The Concert Band performs at 3:00 PM
There is no charge for admission, but donations are appreciated.
The Clearwater Community Band was founded by Eddie Edwards and has been in continuous existence since that time. The band was formed as a possible solution to a problem that nags all music educators, and that is what to do about continued participation in music after students graduate from their high school or college.
Back in 1956, several parents of graduated instrumental students felt a need to start using those wonderful instruments once again. This reflected a "movement" occuring across the country as "retired" instrumentalists surprisingly became active again making music and filling a "void" felt by them and their audiences.
According to Carleton L. Weidemeyer in his history of the Musician's Association Local 729, "The band became an accomplished group. Four members in the 1970's had formerly performed with John Philip Sousa. Col. Melvin Maccoul once directed the the U.S. Army Band during the Wilson Administration".
Today our Community Band is part of the Lifelong Learning Program offered by St. Petersburg College. We rehearse and perform our concerts at Countryside High School st the corner of SR 580 and McMullen Booth Rd.
The Clearwater Community Band Inc. is a not-for profit corporation registered in the state of Florida and has been certified as a 501(c)(3) organization.