The Clearwater Community Band was founded by Eddie Edwards and has been in continuous
existence since that time. The band was formed as a possible solution to a problem that
nags all music educators, and that is what to do about continued participation in music after
students graduate from their high school or college.
Back in 1956, several parents of graduated instrumental students felt a need to start using those
wonderful instruments once again. This reflected a "movement" occuring across the country as
"retired" instrumentalists surprisingly became active again making music and filling a "void" felt
by them and their audiences.
According to Carleton L. Weidemeyer in his history of the Musician's Association Local 729 "The
band became an accomplished group. Four members in the 1970's had formerly performed with
John Philip Sousa. Col. Melvin Maccoul once directed the the U.S. Army Band during the Wilson
Today our Community Band is part of the Lifelong Learning Program offered by St Petersburg
College. We rehearse and perform our concerts at Countryside High School st the corner of SR 580 and McMullen Booth Rd.
The Clearwater Community Band Inc. is a not-for profit corporation registered in the state of Florida and has been certified as a 501(c)(3) organization.